When it comes to home interior design, you should know that bigger is not always better. If you’re looking for a way to make the most of your small kitchen, you should read our guide.
You’ll learn how to decorate a small space and how to keep it well-organized, beautiful, functional and stylish. In order to make your cooking more comfortable, you’d better use these smart and easy space improvements.
If your kitchen lack of space, the first thing to do is find more of it in your room. It’s advisable to get rid of unnecessary doors. You should think about cutting out an opening in your kitchen in order to create a beautifully spacious room. Keep in mind that what makes a room seem larger is simple white walls, so you should try to incorporate some contemporary details that open up space. Use light shades and reflective materials, since the minimalist decor is your friend in a small kitchen.
Maximize your storage space
One of the most important things when it comes to designing a small kitchen is storage space. You should focus on investing in a quality cabinetry and shelving in order to make the most of your room. It’s best to ask your contractor about what’s available and what’s best for your kitchen. You may feel lucky, since cabinet systems today are internationally produced interior storage systems and they are not made out of wood. Given that, you will get more space. Consider installing a narrow pantry between a refrigerator and a wall in order to make use of the unused space. Speaking of space, it’s best to choose white of frosted glass cabinet doors, since light colors make a room seem larger. You can also use white stone or composite, stainless-steel worktops or white splashback tiling. If you feel like having not enough counter space, you can find many smart solutions such as turning a sink into a cutting board!
Most of you may think that decorating tiny kitchen means cheap appliances, but don’t think small means tacky and dormitory. You can easily find high-quality small appliances on the market and have multi-tasking equipment. Keep in mind not to overlook the sink, since you can find many beautiful choices of covers and designs. If your kitchen seems like something’s wrong, consider rearranging your appliances. You may be short on space but, with some planning, you can smoothly integrate your appliances into the cabinetry, which is an easy way to keep your small space looking sleek.
Keep your kitchen clean
Having a small kitchen doesn’t mean you can let it become cluttered and dirty. Not having enough storage usually means you’ll end up with a cluttered space. Keep in mind, though, that more storage may not be a solution. You should first simplify and declutter your kitchen. Check your cabinets, drawers and shelves in order to find unused things you can toss or donate. Then clear the counters and store all the things that cause visual clutter. You can also consider open shelving since it can make a big impact in your small kitchen. Having and open and airy feel is always a good choice for enlarging the space. For more storage space consider wall-mounted magnetic knife strips, rails to hang mugs, spice jars, utensils and cutlery bins. It’s advisable to determine what can be stored away until needed and what you need to have to hand every day.
Small kitchen ideas
- If you want to add drama and personality to your kitchen, consider stainless-steel tile and a glamorous, showstopping backsplash tile.
- For a light kitchen decor with storage, make use of the space between the cabinets by adding shelves and displaying your spices or herbs. If you place your shelves in front of a window, the light will make your collection look fresh and beautiful.
- Every small kitchen needs accessories. You can hang wall art and mix it with other hanging art such as decorative plates.
- If you have a one-wall kitchen, it’s advisable to choose open upper cabinets in order to make the room feel more spacious. You will also allow space for displaying colorful accessories and kitchen decor. Closed cabinets are great if you have items you don’t want on display.
- In a white kitchen, go for a bold roman shade if you want to set the tone for your space. Covering the window with red, yellow and orange accessories spices up the room.
- A classic white kitchen is a beautiful space for experimenting with small kitchen decorating ideas. You should consider playing with the pattern in order to create a unique and modern look.
- You can add style to you kitchen with a patterned drum shade or unique pendants. Consider choosing interesting light fixtures for making your space more sophisticated and distinctive.
- When it comes to art, you should choose something with personality. Try to find a unique art piece that showcase your style. You can find vintage signs, classic advertisements, or simply frame enlarged family photos to add coziness.
- For more storage space you should get pots and pans out of your way and install a wall-mounted pot rack. You can even find one that includes a shelf above the rack for spices, cookware or books.
- If you don’t have much space to fit standard-size chairs and table, you can choose a fold-down table to the wall.
- Consider installing undercabinet toe-kick drawers in order to squeeze an extra storage space into your small kitchen. It’s great for keeping seasonal trays, baking sheets or serving ware.
- Cheap and easy way to add storage and coziness to your space are hooks and towel bars. You can attach one to the inside of a cabinet in order to hold towels. you can also keep there coffee mugs or other cooking utensils.
- When it comes to small kitchen and cooking, it’s best to choose a couple of dozen airtight magnetic canisters and transfer your spices into the new jars. Next, turn the outside of your fridge into your new tasty pantry.
- If you have kitchen cabinets without shelf dividers, consider installing undershelves in order to transform your space into functional storage.
- Try to make use of your empty vertical space by combining towel bars and bamboo holders, and shower hooks in order to create great storage space for your wooden spoons or herbs and plants.
- In terms of storing your spices, consider magnets glued to the lids of your drawers. You can attach repurposed baby food jars and enjoy an extra storage space in your kitchen.
- If you are on a budget and don’t have funds to buy beautiful spice holders, consider transferring a small box into a storage.
- For maximizing storage space and seating area, consider installing a corner banquette with drawers underneath.
- If you don’t want your tiny kitchen to feel claustrophobic, choose to open up cupboards. Keep in mind to be organized and declutter your space frequently. You should consider shelving, pot racks, and magnetic holders in order to make your kitchen more spacious and fresh.
- One of the easiest ways to visually enlarge a kitchen is to introduce glass to space. Consider glass counter or tabletop, door cabinets, tile or kitchen doors. You may also want to add mirrors strategically around a room for a more spacious and light design.
- Keep in mind that small kitchen requires proper lighting. In order to visually expand your space, install pendant light in the eating area, incandescent light fixture underneath upper cabinets and a spot lighting above cabinetry.
- Above all, it’s best to try embracing your kitchen as it is, since it’s meant to be yours and cozy. Make sure there is your personal touch and use your sentimental pieces and accessories in order to emphasize the look. You may have a small kitchen, but make sure it’s inviting and warm.
When it comes to decorating a small kitchen, it’s best to understand that being short on space doesn’t mean you don’t have to plan. It’s advisable to plan everything before you start rearranging your room. A kitchen is a place where your family gather, cook, laugh, eat and spend quality time together and you should share your special moments in a beautifully arranged space. It only takes smart planning to achieve a multifunctional, aesthetically appealing and cozy kitchen. And this is how you make the most of the space you have.