In our previous article, we focused our attention mainly on major appliances for the small kitchen.
Today, by contrast, we will shed light on the minor ones, without which cooking and maximizing the time effectiveness of yours would be close to impossible. On the other hand, with their aid, you will make many kitchen activities automated, so there is no doubt that they will come in handy on the daily basis.
However, before you enter the shopping spree, you ought to reconsider your space arrangement and decide on buying the essential small gear for a tight kitchen. Otherwise, you will end up having your cooking area cluttered and difficult to upkeep.
Things you should bear in mind before you buy the stuff
- Before you start searching for a new appliance, you should ensure that you have enough storage/counter space for the product you wish to incorporate into the area.
- If you are lucky enough to find the color or finish that suits your overall kitchen interior, it’s all the better.
- Every online retail ha safety ratings and reports available to guide the prospective buyer, thus you should look for the ones that match your installation setup and the cooking style.
- We do admire stuff that is easy to clean or maintain, so look for gear that is made of stainless steel or other user-friendly materials. You don’t want to clean them every time you enter the kitchen.
Let’s head on to the specific equipment you can apply in your little cooking empire:
Although we elaborated on the microwave placement in the kitchen interior in our previous article, there is still much to add about countertop microwaves. Along with the built-in trims, not only will it save you space for other pieces of equipment, but it will also step a little bit to the background, bringing a more pleasant look to your eyes. As for the countertop microwave, you should pay attention to:
- Power. 700-1200 watts is the common power range for countertop microwaves. Nevertheless, the more watts your microwave has, the faster you will cook your food.
- Design. As mentioned two paragraphs above, you want to consider buying a trim kit for a microwave to create the built-in look. Countertop microwaves come with lots of finishes, from black and white, to stainless steel.
- Preprogrammed settings. Having preprogrammed cook cycles allows you to heat your favored meals with a single button. You can set many preprogrammed channels, depending on the popular snacks you prepare in the microwave on a daily basis. For greater comfort and usability, opt for the sensor cooking option to check the readiness of your meals with adjusting cook time accordingly to their types to avoid having them overcooked.
Blenders and juicers
- Watts that determine speed and power range from 200 to 1500. We would recommend the ones with higher power, albeit they use more energy. The reason behind our support is that higher wattages pulverize ice, nuts, and frozen fruits with less effort than low wattages.
- Carafes come in three types: glass, stainless steel, and plastic. The first is heavier and provides transparency so that you can monitor what’s going on inside with ease. The second is non-staining (as the name implies), and the third is light and can be handled with safety. In order to reduce exposure to carcinogens, look for BPA-free plastic.
- If certain elements, such as bases or blades are detachable, it will make cleaning easier. Moreover, if you share the courtesy of having a removable juicer top, you will be able to add items while blending.
When it comes to choosing mixers, there are two types available on the market: stand mixers and hand mixers. They come in variety of beater types for flexibility:
- Wire whips add air to your food for fluffy cream, dough hooks let air into pizza or bread to make them rise faster, and flat beaters mix your ingredients with no whipping.
- You can choose two types of beater actions, depending on your preferences. Standard action means that only the beaters move, while in the planetary action, the bowl works, too.
- Stand mixers are available for a variety of food prep methods. You can roll and cut pasta, make homemade ice cream, shred fruits, and vegetables, or even make juices and sauces.
Deep fryers are useful due to its two features: compact size and superb functionality.
- To achieve improved user safety, choose a deep fryer that is equipped with close systems that cook to time, and lift and drain the drain the basket automatically. Nonetheless, if you want to buy an open-system deep fryer, you have to ascertain cool-touch handles and external basket lifts so as not to get burnt.
- When buying a deep fryer, consider one with sealing lids to store oil in your fryer. Speaking of oil, the cleanup will be done much easier, if your stuff is endowed with tilt-and-drain features
Slow, pressure & rice cookers
This appliance is recommended to these homeowners who want to stay in shape and maintain their general well-being. Here are three essential features you should prioritize your research on:
- Size. Cookers vary in sizes, from 75 quarts to 18 quarts and may have a single-vessel, as well as triple-vessel configuration.
- Convenience level. A solid slow cooker should be dishwasher-safe, have non-stick interiors and removable liners so that you can clean them easily. All grips and parts ought to be easy in detaching.
- The number of functions. No longer do we have to stick to one-function slow cookers, since the technological advance in gastronomy allows us to choose multi-function equipment. Given this, you can sear or brown meat and then switch to traditional slow-cooking for more piquant dishes.For cooking rice or vegetables, you will opt for the steam option while the reheat feature will take your cooker up to 400 degrees.
Coffee and tea machines
- Convenience. Gone are the times when you had to measure loose grounds or use coffee filters. Contemporary coffee machines are supplied with pod-compatibility with coffee pods that are pre-packaged coffee units.
- Lifestyle adjustment. If you are a heavy coffee drinker, you want your machine to have the 24-hour programmability, pause and serve and automatic shut-off. These functions will enhance your work-preparation time, and they come in handy in hosting visitors.
- Savvy coffee tasters will be delighted by having some of the advanced features in their coffee machines, considering their usually compact size. Should you look for multifunctional stuff, you may want to look for the kind that includes integrated bean grinders, coffee strength selectors, permanent coffee filters to reduce the litter on the surface, and temperature adjustments for those who like their coffee as if it was spat by a volcano a few seconds ago.
Speaking of various stimulants, if you fancy yourself a glass of wine from time to time, you may want to consider buying a wine chiller or cooler to maintain ideal temperature level for wine bottles in a built-in or stand-alone unit. When buying a wine chiller, you have to watch for two qualities:
- Chilling units. There should be automatic settings for red or white wines as these colors have different requirements.
- Texture. Aluminum interiors maintain temperature and humidity better than other finishings; hence, you will stand up on this material.
They come in various sizes but you will have to look for the most compact one if you want to experience the summer barbecue vibe inside your house. For those who want to share the entertainment from preparing various types of food, such as bacon, pancakes or toasted sandwiches, interchangeable flat and ridged non-stick plates will be optimal.
- There are two types of electric, indoor grills: open grill and closed grill. In the first case, the grilling process is similar to the traditional outdoor routine, i.e. you have to flip your food to check if it’s ready on both sides. The latter doesn’t require such activity because the grill cooks evenly on both sides.
- Your desired indoor grill ought to be equipped with overflow channels and drains to empty juices and grease into a removable container so that you won’t struggle with clean-up.
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so you should embrace it with a nutritious yet filling food. On the other hand, with the contemporary stressful lifestyle, you may not be able to prepare classic french toasts smothered in egg’s yolk. A toaster is an appliance that will come in handy if you’re on the move but doesn’t want to starve for the rest of the day. Look inside these 3 features when you are planning to buy a toaster:
- Slice openings. Toasters have usually 4-6 slice openings; Moreover, you can add extra-wide or extra-long slots to handle every type of bread, regardless the size.
- Multi-functionality. Toaster ovens come with a variety of cooking functions but, above, all they save you the time you need to spend on waiting for the traditional oven to heat even for small dishes. The most standardized functions are toast, bake, boil.
- Convection and Rotisserie. A toaster oven may very well replace traditional one, as long as it has convection and rotisserie functions. The first rotates food in heat for a crispier skin nad more long-time cooking. The latter, in turn, circulates hot air with a fan, which saves time and allows you to cook dishes more steadily.
Every time we watch a family movie (not necessarily a blockbuster, though) we cannot resist the urge to have bread makers that would make a fresh loaf and spread the beautifying scent around the kitchen. When it comes to a solid bread maker, it should ascertain following qualities:
- Multi-functional settings. Your bread maker should adjust its settings accordingly to loaf sizes, cakes, or crust colors. Buying the machine that has convection fans will enhance the cooking process and make your loafs baked evenly.
- Gluten-free option. To create gluten-free bread, your bread maker must include gluten-free settings.
- Easy maintenance. Look for stuff that is easy to clean, with non-stick pans and dishwasher safety reassurance.
This is the end of our road
Our guides to buying kitchen appliances for the small kitchen uses up the essential elements of implementing the hardware in your kitchen interior. After you are done with rearranging the space management of the cooking area and incorporate the necessary major appliances into it, you should spend, at least, an hour on deciding what minor equipment is essential for your tight kitchen and, at the same tame, won’t ruin your budget. Henceforth, all you have to do is consider the highest quality stuff; it is a long-term investment that will pay you with years of service.
For the previous part, see: How To Buy Major Appliances For The Small Kitchen.